Home Forums 10mm Semi-Auto Handguns Sig Sauer XTen

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Rooster41Rooster41
      Participant

I recently purchased the Sig XTen. Topped it with a Vortex Defender. So far I am really liking this Sig. I was thinking about getting the Springfield XDM full size to go along with the compact version I already have, but once I held this I knew it was meant to be. I still might get the XDM but at another time. I plan on trying to take a deer with it. I got some of the Federal Fusion rounds for hunting. Now to find a good holster for it.

KenkKenk
      Participant

Check with GunfighterInc

PumpkinheaverPumpkinheaver
      Participant

I was looking at the Sig but decided to finally get a Glock 40 since I already had a bunch of mags for my 20.

JT78JT78
      Participant

I’ve really been thinking about getting one of these. So you haven’t had any issues with it?

Rooster41Rooster41
      Participant

So far so good. I like extra mags, so my only complaint is $50 magazines. Taking it out for its second range trip today. First time I used Sig ammo. Today I will use Ammo Inc and some handloads. The first trip was with out the Vortex. Vortex swears this will handle the 10mm. Im looking forward to sighting this dot in.

CochCoch
      Participant

I purchased an xten last August. My LGS was really pushing it on me. More like strongly suggesting it. I decided to wait. After researching the firearm and finding plenty of problems associated with it, such as magazines as scarce as hens’ teeth, rounds jamming in undersized magazines for SAAMI spec ammo, poor accuracy as well as good accuracy, etc., I decided to take a chance on the gun. It felt so right in the hand.
      I should have know. Sig hand guns have never worked as well for me as other brands for some reason. Sig tout their pistols’ accuracy, but I just haven’t seen that compared to other brands.
      The biggest issue for me was the magazines. I was able to purchase four new magazines directly from Sig, but thinking that they had corrected the jamming problem was just wishful thinking. I typically use 180gr and 200gr projectiles loaded warm to hot (1250 – 1350 fps) in my glocks, loaded to SAAMI COAL specs (<=1.60″). The x10 mags wouldn’t reliably feed anything over 1.55″ COAL, nor anything with a meplat diameter larger than 7.5mm, which is a waste of a 10mm firearm. Might as well carry a 40s&w.

Compared to any of my 10mm glocks, the x10 was absolutely miserable in accuracy, barely able to hit a 12″ steel at 30m with any of the many loads that I had tried that would be reliable in that gun, whereas the glock 20 and the two 40’s are supremely accurate at 135m, and pushing to 165m was doable (on 12″ steel), all unsupported. Supported, the xten behaved no better than when unsupported. Some other x10 owners have shown much better accuracy, at least when supported at 100 yrds. So perhaps I purchased an example that had poor consistency.

The other issue I have with the pistol is that the trigger shoe is just a little narrower than the trigger guard, with no trigger-safety such that most every other striker-fired pistol possesses on the trigger. I could imagine that reholstering the gun directly following a very tense moment, something might catch the edge of the trigger and, well, not a good outcome there. I always kept this problem in mind when reholstering this gun, but it still very much concerned me unlike when reholstering my (slightly modified) glocks and 1911’s, which ALL have better triggers than the x10.

Another irking tidbit is Sig’s description of the x10 barrel as a ‘bull barrel.’ Couldn’t be further from the truth as it is about 0.08mm larger OD to my 10mm glock barrels, which I would NOT call ‘bull.’ If 0.08mm greater OD makes a bull barrel, then I call bs.

I do believe that Sig has developed a viable platform with their all in one fire control unit (FCU), but its construction and execution needs further refinement to be able to really compete with other manufacturers’ pistols’ reliability and accuracy/consistency.

Sure, in the LGS the x10 feels quite comfortable in the hand. But I’ve found that for me, pistols that feel good in the hand don’t necessarily shoot well, especially with rapid follow-up shots. Yes, the x10 does soak-up recoil reasonably well, but then it really can’t reliably load anything with any form of 10mm oomph. At least in my eight-month long experience with it.

I did absolutely LOVE the x-ray sights. At least after I changed from #6’s to #8’s so that the POI corresponded to the top edge of the sights. Sig is the only manufacturer that I know of that believes the POA/POI should be fully hidden by the front sight. I’d rather not change my well-trained sight picture for Sig. Anyway, I took a Sharpy black marker to the rear sights to make them a bit darker than the front. During dusk and night practice, those pin-point X-Ray sights worked very very nicely for me…. at 30m and closer ranges.

I purchased this pistol in hopes of putting it into rotation for an EDC and woods sidearm. I made an OWB holster for it that worked well with a structured belt that I always wear and the rig was reasonably easily concealable. However, after putting around 1K rounds of all sorts through it, I could not honestly say that I could trust it to possibly one day save my life and/or others’.

Needless to say, overall but with a few exceptions, it was a dud of a 10mm pistol and was not a worthy keeper for me. Especially when so many other owners have complained about the same issues, and Sig representatives all give the same lame answer…. “we haven’t had any complaints about the gun.” I call BS.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by CochCoch.
        Snow ArcSnow Arc
        Participant

Interesting. The quest for my first 10mm started with the various polymers, but I rejected all of them because of stuff like this, 10mm Likes to break polymers. The only interesting one was the Grand Power P40l, not because of the rotating action but because of the steel FCG chassis.

KenkKenk
      Participant

Hey rooster, I totally agree regarding the mag prices, the mags for my P220 Elite 10 are close to 50 as well, there’s absolutely no reason the should be so high

Ken

oldfrankoldfrank
      Participant

I have had a Glock 40 with red Dot and TLR1 Light for about 7 years as my hog hunting guns.
      It has been Glock reliable and killed a dozen hogs or so, one shot, one stop with handloaded Hornady XTP’s.
      I have never really liked the feel of it, or any Glock, even though I own a half dozen.

I also had a G29 that I carried while clearing trails, filling feeders or hanging out on the 1200 acres I hunt pigs on. I actually stumbled on a pig or two close up and killed them but as I said not a big Glock guy.
      I sold the G29 and bought the SA XDM Elite 3.8 10mm and made it do the G29’s work.
      I was interested in the Sig XTEN after reading an article in one of the gun magazines I get but held off as I have two holsters that fit my G40 and I would have to buy new ones but the other night I got to handle a XTEN and it fit my smaller hands so much better. The guy that owned it said it was accurate as heck and he had had no0 malfunctions.
      I ordered one and waiting on it to show up. I will Red Dot it right away as my old eyes are poor with open sights.

Mk319Mk319
      Participant

Anyone found a Duty holster that work with this pistol?

Never was a Sig fan, and in all truth the only guns I’ve ever owned that gave me problems were Sigs. A 716 that wouldn’t reliably eject (first gen before the double ejectors) and a 220 in 45 that just didn’t work for me, not sure if it was me or it, but I didn’t like it.

That said I hesitantly, traded a shotgun for an X10 a month ago, a $300 shotgun for an $800 like new anything was a no brainer. The buddy who had it bought it “because it was a new Sig” hence my fan boy statement and it recoiled too much for him. “besides a 9mm with modern bullets is just as effective” He said.
      I’ve been to the range twice now and really like it, and it eats anything I feed it. Awesome pistol and I recommend it, except I am struggling to find a descent holster and of course the mag prices.

KenkKenk
      Participant

Evening, check with GunfighterInc or Vedder

Ken

Mk319Mk319
      Participant

Thank you, it looks like gunfighterinc has what I’m looking for. But the pricing makes me think about just making it myself.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Mk319Mk319.
      KenkKenk
      Participant

I have several including two of their chest rigs, and really like them. They are a bit expensive, but are well worth it

sparkyvsparkyv
      Participant

I had many of the same issues with mine as you did, Coach. Especially magazine issues feeding my heavy WFN rounds and not-so-great accuracy. The gun felt great in the hand, but overall was such a letdown. Now SIG released the Comp and Endure variants, but I wonder if the magazine design issues were addressed. Do any of you 10mm Enthusiasts have an update on the XTEN mags?

Mk319Mk319
      Participant

Try letting them sit fully loaded for a week or so.

BambihunterBambihunter
      Participant

For those that love the feel of the SIG, but not have good luck, check out the long out of production Star Megastar 10mm. They can be picked up for less than a grand usually on GB. Mags are scarce and expensive too though.
      I’ve got a LOT of 10mm’s and though quite accurate, it is not the most accurate. It isn’t the highest capacity, but at 14+1, it is respectable. It just feels so good in the hand and its weight helps absorb recoil and I sincerely think they are the strongest 10mm semi-auto made, even more than S&W’s 10xx series which people often say is.

Rooster41Rooster41
      Participant

IM still loving this XTen. I did get the Gunfighters Inc chest rig for it. That is so comfortable to wear all day. I wore it out hunting and it felt great. I have had one issue with a mag. The follower seems to get stuck at times. I havent called Sig yet to see what my options are. THe Vortex Defender is really holding up to the recoil of the 10mm. About 200 rounds so far and still holding zero.

NHansen79NHansen79
      Participant

I’ve had my pistol since about June 2023 as of now I have about 3500 rounds through it mostly all 180 grain I do reload from my pistol so that does help with accuracy. I’m sure but the worst for accuracy was maybe 5 inches at 25 yards and that was the regular 180 grand full metal jacket Now that I load 180 HST, 80 grain Winchester ranger T, and most recently 165 grain gold dots. I got some longshot powder to give a try with the 165s because I wanted to try to match up with the underwood ammo loading. I settled on 9.5gr which gives me over 1300 ft./s.
      Yes, I did have the stiff magazines, but that eased up after shooting it for a while as of right now I’m about 3500 runs into my pistol. The only thing that I’ve changed is the Front site post to give me a 6 o’clock hold opposed to the combat hold. I just didn’t like the way I had it also changed out the module to AC unity because I wanted something a little bit more grip to it, I also added a couple +4 magazine extensions and extra magazine springs

Mk319Mk319
      Participant

Ok, you have me curious can you post a link to the ac unity grip module for the x ten?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.