Home Forums Factory 10mm Ammo Good, Bad, Ugly

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      TXSHOOTERTXSHOOTER
      Blocked

I’ve tested various brands of factory ammo, and happy to report that I’ve had very few issues:
      – PPU (cheap, but reliable)
      – PMC Bronze (good brass for reloading, up to 4 times now without annealing)
      – Hornady (all good, plus great brass for reloading; Critical Defense and/or Critical Duty is carry ammo)
      – Speer Gold Dot (all good, plus great brass for reloading)
      I buy factory ammo when I see a good price, mainly for the brass. I reload using the above brass plus Starline 10mm when available, using a Dillon press. Easy. I’ll save the details for a reloading thread.

TXSHOOTER

highxjhighxj
      Participant

I don’t shoot a lot of factory ammo, but one that surprised me was Sig V-Crown 180. It actually was a touch faster than Underwood 180 XTP, clocking an honest 1250 from a Glock 29, and 1340-ish out of my Nighthawk 1911 5″.

sqlbulletsqlbullet

I have had great luck with Georgia Arms in the past, though I am not sure if they are going to recover from a fire.

I have also been happy with S&B. I did see a post in another social media site where someone thinks they had a squid that led to a kaboom in a Dan Wesson 10mm. I have no reason to stop shooting my S&B stock of practice ammo, but as always, keep track of where your shots go. If something funny happens malfunction wise and you are not 100% certain there was an impact, it is cheap insurance to strip the gun and check.

PumpkinheaverPumpkinheaver
      Participant

I’ve tried a bunch of factory 10MM “carry” loads and have settled on 2. 90% of the time if my Glock 20 is loaded with factory it is the 175gr Winchester silvertips, I carry this gun and load when it’s cold enough to wear a jacket, making it easier to hide a full sized pistol. The other factory load I sometimes carry is the 200gr underwood hard cast. I carry this in my Glock 20 or 40 when in bear country. That being said most of my 10MM ammo over the years has been loaded with the 180 XTP over bluedot. This is my all purpose load and have killed everything from rattlesnakes to deer with it. I’m currently working on a load with the 135 Nosler bullet as I’m going to try to pop some prairie dogs with my Glock 40 in a few weeks when I’m South Dakota.

stykshooterstykshooter
      Participant

I have tested numerous factory loads over the years. Two that have stood out for me were the Sig V-Crown 180 grain JHP and the Federal 180 grain Trophy bonded bear claw load. I have killed several deer with the V-Crown load and carry the Federal load when Im backpacking and camping in big bear country. I was lucky enough to find a supply and stock up on both of these loads prior to the most recent ammo shortage a couple years back.

Rooster41Rooster41
      Participant

I like the Sig Sauer 180 FMJ for target if I am shooting factory. But the last time I bought it, I dont remember paying a buck a round for FMJ. Otherwise my handloads are what I use mostly. Speer 180 TMJ and Hornady 180 XTP is mostly what I load. For hunting I will use the Federal Fusion. I have been a fan of that for years. I have Fusion ammo for every caliber that I have and would consider using for deer hunting. I do need to find some defensive rounds for it and will most likely go with the VCrown.

shydog00shydog00
      Participant

Try Fenix Ammo. I’ve found it to good ammo loaded hotter than most.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.